Saturday, January 10, 2009

On the Value of a Life...

So far 2009 seems to be the year that police officers' have designated to kill off Black men. Only 10 days in and they've already killed one and wounded another.

When will this shit end?

A few days ago I was enraged when I learned about Robbie Tolan, a minor league baseball player, who was shot by police in front of his own home. Apparently, the officers thought his car was stolen and questioned him in front of his home. When his mother came out to see what was going on, an officer allegedly pushed her. Tolan, who was already being held on the ground by an officer, looked up to say something and was promptly shot in the chest. Thankfully, he is recovering in an area hospital.

Just a few minutes ago, thanks to Little Miss Nobody's blog, I learned about yet another shooting, this one fatal. Twenty two year old Oscar Grant, was shot in the back by a police officer, while handcuffed and face down on the ground. This man is dead.

Why?

I am so sick of this. I swear. In Cincinnati, we've seen this same story unfold over and over in the past 10 years. Not one of the officers has ever been found guilty. I guess Black life has little value in this country. Let me rephrase that: I know Black life has little value in this country.

I just can't wrap my mind around the idea that one human being has the power to take another human being's life just because he or she has a badge and a blue uniform. What the fuck? How can it be ok to give another human being that much power? What's the difference in if he hadn't had that badge and uniform and if he hadn't? They'd still be human beings. One still would be dead. And it still wouldn't make any sense. Does this badge and uniform suddenly exempt one from humanity? From basic right and wrong?

You know what? Why don't they just put on a white uniform instead? You know, one with a pointy hat and a face covering? Why don't they just trade their cars for horses and their guns for a noose? They obviously want us gone, why don't they cut the bullshit and be real about it? Don't pretend to kill me in the name of justice, kill me cause you want my Black ass dead. That's what this is really about. Kill me because you'd rather take my life than protect it. Because I mean more to you dead than I ever will alive. Be honest with the shit.

The cynic in me doesn't think anything will happen to any of these officers. Just like nothing happened to the ones who shot Amadou Diallo, Sean Bell, Timothy Thomas, and all the other Black men whose lives haven't meant enough to police to allow them the right to continue living them.

People wonder why I tell my daughter that some police are good but a lot of them are bad. This is why. I don't want her to get it confused and think they are actually there to protect her. Maybe white folks, but certainly not us.

Certainly not.

Fuck the police.

2 comments:

riva. said...

f the police is right.
in the chest? that just killed my whole hype for the day. how sad.

-riv-
rivaflowz.blogspot.com

Gem said...

Robbie was a classmate of mine. He is doing better but Houston/Bellaire is in an uproar over this. I don't think this is going to go away quietly ESPECIALLY not with these other shootings that have happened in the same period of time. This is really madness, and surreal.