Friday, January 02, 2009

On Why I'm Locing My Hair...

I've decided that in 2009, for my 25th year, to mark a change, I am going to loc my hair.

I'm so excited.

I've started telling people about it and they always ask why. Why am I locing up? Well, it's not a decision I came to all willy-nilly. It's something that I've put a lot of thought into. So here goes...

I'm locing my hair because I want to go back to school. In December of 2006, I dropped out of school. It was a break that was necessary for my mental, spiritual and emotional body. I had planned for it to be one quarter, but life happened and honestly, I'm glad, but now it's time to return. I want 2009 to be the year that start back.

I'm locing my hair because I'm a dreamer. According to Myers-Briggs I'm an INFP, which means I live in a vivid innerworld of dreams and passions. It's true. I have all these things that I want to accomplish. I'm a writer - I want to write books, essays, articles, screenplays, etc. I dream of being able to live off of my writing. I also dream of being a professor Black Women's Studies. I dream of creating an environment for myself and my child, that is affirming and creative and artistic and communal and loving and beautiful and feminist. I dream of surrounding her by strong women and men who can show her what it means to go after and achieve one's dreams. I dream of being happy.

I'm locing my hair because the second half of my twenties have got to be better than the first.

I'm locing my hair because I want to be more intentional in my life. I don't want to live my life reacting to everything, because reacting takes control from my hands and places it into those of whatever/whomever I'm reacting. I worked at a parenting center that stressed the importance of intentional parenting and how it is important as parents to not just react to our kids' behavior, but to think of each moment as a chance to mold this kid into the kind of adult you want her to be. I think that applies in all aspects of my life. I feel like I've been a passenger in my own life, and I want to take the chance to jump in the driver's seat.

I'm locing my hair because I love myself and I want to continue to love me... Beautifully human, flaws and all.

In essence, my locs will be a visual reminder of all of these things I'm writing today and more. Everyday, when I look in the mirror, I want to have a visual reminder of who I am and what I want to do. that reminder will be my locs.

No comments: